Syngenta agrees to compensate cancer victims

|
syngentaAgrochemicals firm Syngenta has agreed to pay compensation to eleven former employees of an insecticide factory in southwestern Switzerland.

The Unia trade union said on Wednesday the deal was exemplary, but both sides agreed to withhold details of the payouts.

The agreement comes more than a year after reports of a number of cases of bladder cancer around the southwestern town of Monthey that could be connected to exposure to the chemical galecron.
he agreement comes more than a year after reports of a number of cases of bladder cancer around the southwestern town of Monthey that could be connected to exposure to the chemical galecron.

The facility where the active ingredient chlordimeform was produced from 1966 to 1976 and from 1978 and 1988 was owned by Ciba:Geigy before it was sold to Basel:based Syngenta six years ago.

Off the market

The insecticide is believed to have toxic effects on individuals exposed to it. It was taken off the market because of potential risks to users.

A trade union official said nine former employees who suffer from bladder cancer were granted a "considerable one:off payment". The families of two other employees who have died will also receive compensation.

Any future cases that are recognised by the Swiss Accident Insurance Fund will also receive the appropriate indemnity.

The official added that while Syngenta had agreed to the financial compensation there was no scientifically:proven link between the chemicals and the occurrence of cancer.

"The group has committed itself out of respect for the employees," said Rolf Furter, in charge of product development at Syngenta, adding that it was looking for a swift solution.

Both sides also agreed on Wednesday to continue programmes aimed at raising awareness and preventing the development of cancers, with Syngenta devoting SFr250,000 ($208,952).

A local urologist was quoted as saying that there had been 30 suspicious deaths from bladder cancer in the Monthey region over the past 20 years. He admitted that his evaluation could not be backed up by any statistics.

Last year the director of the Syngenta factory said the company was aware of the suspicions and was pursuing a health:screening programme for employees.

source SwissInfo 

Info

Previous entry: Mushroom helps cancer survival

Next entry: Cancer group concerned new hospital facility not complete

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.